Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I own a patent, a trademark and website. the product is

Customer Question
being sold online and in...
i own a patent, a trademark and website. the product is being sold online and in a store. it is a safety/sports device. i have never never had one returned. what is the best way to sell the entity, patent, trademark, website. how should something like
this be valued?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
8/5/2015
IP Lawyer: Alex Reese, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer

valuing intellectual property is quite difficult, there is no straightforward way to do it. One method could be to consider what the licensing value of the patent/TM is, i.e. how much would you be willing to license the rights for, and set the full value somewhat higher. If the entity owns the TM/Patent, then that would naturally be included in the sale of the entity, but the sales agreement would need to be clear that the patent/TM are part of the sale (as well as the website). You simply need a sales agreement that lists all these things as part of the sale. As with any sale of a business or other contract, you should have an attorney write it or at least review/revise it...you never know when an issue may arise and then every word and line in the agreement may come under scrutiny.

Alex Reese
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer