Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

Infringing patents

Customer Question
infringing patents
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
I have a new business idea related to the food business (an ice cream shop) and I want to make sure before I spend the money and open the shop that this new idea is not already patented and that I am not infringing any patents. How can I make sure I am not infringing patents before I open the business. I tried doing it my self using the uspto.gov website and it is not easy. I also tried using some patents service companies but I am scared if I give them the idea description that they will leak it out before I open my business as most of these website do state that the information you give them is not an attorney-client privilege. That is currently my only road block before I open my business. I also don't want to pay an arm and a leg with hiring expensive lawyers to do the search for me.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/1/2015
IP Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, what specifically can I help answer for you? I cannot conduct this search for you but I may be able to suggest the means under which you can do the search fairly cheaply. Please advise.

Go ahead with the suggestion. My question is stated above. Thanks

One option that I would suggest may be to browse the listings for attorneys at www.avvo.com and www.martindale.com. There you can search by fees, location, experience, and expertise, and more importantly, you can reach out to attorneys and specify the exact amount of time you are seeking as a search tool. This then permits you to budget, and likewise you can therefore know just how deep and detailed your search to be.

Another far less common option is to contact local area law schools. Many have free legal clinics staffed by law students and supervised by visiting attorneys. Find out if they have a patent/IP clinics and ask the law school students to conduct this search for you. This is generally free outright, and can potentially help you resolve the issue without additional costs.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

I went to the mentioned website and didn't see lawyers listed by cost. Can you elaborate a little more on that. Thanks

Some attorneys post their hourly fees, permitting you to estimate their costs. Some do not. But you can still call or contact them and get their estimates for the work, permitting you to build a picture of what such a fairly narrow and limited search may cost you.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney