Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I assist my clients with IP questions that arise in their daily course of doing business.
18572087

I bought a digital product from The product is a source

Customer Question

I bought a digital product from http://www.cogzidel.com/airbnb-clone/
The product is a source code with a foundation for a website. You can use the source code to start your own business. Well it turns out, the source code is junk, and this website has been ripping people off for years.
My legal questions is, am I allowed to make a website and give this source code away? After all, I did purchase the source code and the right to use it. Am I violating any copyright laws by saying "Download Cogzidel Airbnb clone for free" and just letting people openly download it?
Thanks
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I suspect that you will be in violation if you do that. Here is why: Arguably what you purchased was not full rights but a personal (or a business) 'license' to their code. So while you can use this code for yourself and your business, sharing the code with others would violate the scope of the rights that you obtained with your purchase. Now, if there is nothing in writing, you can argue that you obtained full rights but I suspect that this is not the case, and the real creator of that junk code can go after you for damages if you make it freely accessible to all. Sincerely, ***** *****