Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I have an idea invention that I would like to try and

Customer Question

I have an idea for an invention that I would like to try and file for a patent. But I don't know how to do it. I did a search against the Patent Database Search on the keywords that I could think of and nothing came back, so maybe my idea is worthwhile. I'd like to hire a patent attorney to help me but I don't know how to go about doing that. Or even if there was a step-by-step online site that could walk me through the process that would be good. Any help?

I refined my patent database search and I found one similar idea already patented. Now I don't know if I should bother proceeding with the patent filing or not.

Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 2 years ago.
hello, you need to hire a patent attorney or agent, and your initial consultation with them can go over related issued like maybe having them help with a prior art search (or direct you on how to do a free one on your own...which is better than nothing but far inferior to a professional search). It's best to talk with a patent attorney asap before you waste time on things that may not be appropriate. Google Patents is a good site to run keyword searches and find relevant patents. But when it comes to preparing and filing the patent, it must be handled by a registered patent attorney. Do-it yourself never works well with patents and either results in a waste of time & money and/or loss of potential patent rights. You can find patent attorneys using sites like Avvo.com or Superlawyers.com. For example, http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/92618-ca-ali-shalchi-309397.html
let me know if that clears things up, or if you need more info