Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I've been running a YouTube channel since 2012, and recently

Customer Question

I've been running a YouTube channel since 2012, and recently I was contacted by an individual who was trying to sell me a domain name for $4000 USD that featured my YouTube channel name.
In other words, they saw that I was getting popular, decided to buy www.myYouTubeName.com and were now trying to profit.
My YouTube name is ***** ***** you Google Search all the results are related to my channel. However, their 'parked domain' appears also.
A YouTube name isn't a trademark, but could I contact WIPO and claim it's registered in bad taste?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 2 years ago.
hello. in order to make a successful UDRP/WIPO complaint you need to show bad faith or trademark confusion/damage on the part of the domain registrant. In this case, as you recognize, your YouTube name isn't necessarily a trademark so you may have a challenge there in establishing your TM rights, and then of course you need to show to some extent that the person registered the domain in bad faith. In either case, you will want to use an IP attorney to file a complaint, and upon initial consultation they can tell you their feel of how strong the case is, but that requires looking at all the facts in detail. So from what you have said you may have a chance, but it's not a slam dunk and you will have a harder time than the typical TM owner.