Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

We own a t-shirt co. in Virginia and have been asked by the

Customer Question
2 local boy scout troops...
We own a t-shirt co. in Virginia and have been asked by the 2 local boy scout troops to reproduce some t-shirts that they currently have. These shirts have the Trademarked Boy Scout logo on them. Can we reprint this logo on t-shirts for the local Troops since they are an division of the Boy Scouts. Would anyone be at fault .. would we be at fault
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
6/29/2015
IP Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Regardless of what the scout troop may try to tell you, under the Boy Scouts of America rules and trademark procedures, ALL reproductions of their registered mark MUST have a license and they do not grant members blanket rights to reproduce the logos. Thus, they would have to get permission and a license from BSA, even if it is a one time license, to reproduce and they can even apply for a fee waiver from BSA to get one.
If you do not make sure they have such a license to reproduce, BOTH you and the troop person who placed the order could be legally liable for the trademark violation. If you make them sign a statement that they have legal license to reproduce the trademarked logo they are asking you to reproduce and are liable and responsible for reporting to BSA, that may limit your liability, but unless you actually saw the license from BSA you could still be liable to them.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer