How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex Reese Your Own Question
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3466
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Alex Reese is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a trademark and just got married. What do I do to change

Customer Question

I own a trademark and just got married. What do I do to change my name on all the legal documents associated with my trademark? Where do I start?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 2 years ago.
Hello. You do not actually need to change anything but to update the USPTO records you can file a name change form (I will follow up later tonight with the info). As for any existing document you have, there is really no need to go back to change anything, but if there is an agreement you can just add an addendum to it indicating the name change.
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 2 years ago.
so the info is on the following page:
you need to make a name change with the Assignment Recordation Branch of the USPTO. You must file a Recordation Form Cover Sheet along with a copy of the actual assignment or proof of name change. As described on that page, you can do it by paper or online.