How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex Reese Your Own Question
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3466
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Alex Reese is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im writing a book basicly a sequel to a japanese cartoon

Customer Question

HI Im writing a book basicly a sequel to a japanese cartoon it start with a fanficiton.
but after a while I decided get it published . ive gone to many writers meeting and I know one thing you can not copyright ideas no matter what it is. my question is how does one get the right to publish a sequel based on a story from over seas like a country like japan.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 2 years ago.
Hello, the bot***** *****ne is that you need permission from them to create a sequel based on their work, you need to speak with their copyright licensing should find a Japanese speaker to discuss with them and/or send them emails/letters (but that may not be as effective ). This site cannot perform any services for you in this regard, but can provide general advice on law and suggested courses of action.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would I have to request this if I went to a publisher?
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 2 years ago.
Yes the publisher will require you to have the necessary rights. They may be able to help you with it but it's unlikely.

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions