Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

Can i trademark the star spangled banner music as a sound mark?

Customer Question
I have checked online and...
can i trademark the star spangled banner music as a sound mark? I have checked online and its not registered for any class of use
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
5/16/2015
IP Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that as a national anthem in public domain, which means it is free for anyone to use, it could not be trademarked as a sound mark or any other means (just like the US flag cannot be trademarked, since it would restrict use which is prohibited).
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer