How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I assist my clients with IP questions that arise in their daily course of doing business.
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought what I thought was a real authentic Rolex watch from

This answer was rated:

I bought what I thought was a real authentic Rolex watch from an individual off craigslist and took it to a dealer and they said it was a fake.the man does not want to refund my money.what are my options?
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Just to be clear, he claimed that it was real. How much did you pay for it? I am asking to figure out what courts may potentially be able to assist. Was the sale out of North Carolina or a different state?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes he did. I paid 4500. The transaction took place in NC.

One quick question if I may--do you know where he is located or where he lives--can you find him if necessary?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have his cell number and and the emails that were sent though craigslist.and he told me his name(if it is his real name) he has been conversing with me via text message.

What you are discussing is a situation based on fraud, misrepresentation, and breach of contract. As you were promised a specific product and that was not what you purchased, you can legally pursue the other party for a refund and recourse based on the misrepresentation. The reason I asked about the amount is that this ultimately can be taken to small claims. In North Carolina small claims are capped at $5,000, and this cause of action would qualify. Here is the link to get started:

However you cannot sue someone without knowing who he is or how to find him--one of the conditions is that you have to serve them process. You would need to look up the number and find his real name and address. If you can find such information, then you could file suit and pursue him for the return of the funds. But you have to find him, and that is your ultimate responsibility.

Hope that helps.


Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So if I know his name I can file a claim? With my local police dept. Can I give a description of him and what kind of car he drives.and give them his cell number.



The police will not help as this is not a criminal matter. They will not help you find this person, you would need to search yourself either via the online search engines or by retaining a private investigator. There are online sites that help you do a reverse number lookup, so if he used his own name, you should be able to track him directly. You do not just have to file a claim, you have to serve him, meaning you personally have to give him a copy of the complaint and allow him to appear in court to defend his claim.


Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have already tried the reverse phone lookup and it just tells me the area of the name though.



Then you may need to resort to a private investigator. While you can try the police, they would likely state that it would be a misuse of process and would not do a search on your behalf. I am genuinely sorry, truly, which is why I tend to suggest that before any significant purchases are made, parties exchange driver license information and addresses so that they could be found in case of concerns.


Please be well!

Dimitry K., Esq. and other Intellectual Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions