How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 31788
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i like to do some hand painted sports mugs using sports logos

This answer was rated:

i like to do some hand painted sports mugs using sports logos and sell them on I don't want to infringe on any copyrights. I would like to know how to do the proper steps to getting permission to sell my creations. I have been trying to research this subject but can't find any information on how receive permission (numbers, websites, email addresses etc)

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm an Intellectual Property litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : In order to legally reproduce the logos, you would have to contact each team and receive a license in order to reproduce its image.

okay great, thank you


how do i go about doing this

Roger : Usually , each organization has a marketing department/licensing agent that will assist with the process.

are these numbers online

Roger : Usually, there's a fee for a license, but once you have it, you can market the item.

does this cost money for a license. I mean considering i m just basically doing this as a hobby. I don't have thousands of dollars to spend


do you have an estimate of how much it costs

Roger : Yes, a license is going to cost, but I can't say how much each costs. That depends on each team and what it wants.

i have to contact each individual team, or just one license from NFL

Roger : You'd have to contact each team.
Roger : You should be able to go to their website and find a contact number.

i would look up marketing department?

Roger : Usually, there is a link that lists all contact numbers, and should had it there.

okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX seeing as i talk to you that there is something called a nfl licensee USA, where you can only sell your merchandise in USA, which I would, and I have to give royalties. have you heard of this

Roger : That may be something for a licensed merchandiser or distributor. But, I'm not familiar with what exactly that is.

oh okay

Roger : You certainly can ask about that, when you make contact.



i mean i am reading on about becoming a licensee and its say minimum requirement is being able to pay 100,000 a year in royalties. i mean i may sell 10 mugs in one year. Do they really bother someone like me who is doing this at such a small rate


bc i will never make 100,000 better yet 200.00


i just want to take precautions here

Roger : It's very likely that you'd never fade any issues selling these without a license , but without it, there's always a chance.

i understand


okay thank you

Roger : Sure.
Roger and other Intellectual Property Law Specialists are ready to help you