Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

Is it legal for me to make a copy of a movie to use ( I use

videos for training) if I...
Is it legal for me to make a copy of a movie to use ( I use videos for training) if I am not distributing and I am keeping the original in my possession to prevent it from getting damaged
10/23/2013
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Patent Prosecutor

I hope this message finds you well. Under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) it is legal to copy a DVD or movie if that copy will be used strictly for personal use. This falls under the long held Fair Use Doctrine.

Under the DMCA, it is illegal to copy a DVD or movie for commercial use, such as the sale or display of that particular copyrighted material.

Even if you are simply showing the material to others, but not giving it to them or selling it to them, you are likely completely safe (based on your description of facts) in doing what you are doing. As such, you are not violating the DMCA or other copyright laws.

Let me know if you have any additional questions or comments.

Best wishes going forward!

Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Patent Prosecutor
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Patent Prosecutor