Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

What other ways can I protect my ideas and inventions, before

I submit a patent?...
What other ways can I protect my ideas and inventions, before I submit a patent?
10/20/2013
Wilton A. Person
Thank you for your inquiry. Generally speaking, an "idea: itself cannot be protected unless it is actually in a tangible form such as a business plan or a writing. However, it is generally a very good idea to also secure trademark and copyrights for intellectual property that relates to patents.

For example, you could file a trademark for the name of the invention such that consumers will identify your company with the patent/product. It is not necessary to file prior to submitting the patent but it would be wise to submit begin building up the brand as soon as possible.

You could copyright the "instructions of use", the website for the product, as well as the advertising material. From a practical standpoint, it is very good idea to have as much intellectual property protection as possible to avoid a unethical person from marketing an inferior product that either infringes or misleads consumers as to the value of your patent.
I have an invention, I want someone else to come in with me and get it developed further. My concern is he may steal that idea, before I have it patented. Also I want opinions from people who have experience relating to the field I'm building the invention for. So by showing people I'm putting my myself at risk before even provisional patent is filed. So what ways can I protect the idea from being stolen by someone else.
Thank you for your response. Typically, a non-disclosure agreement is a very good option if you will disclose information to outside parties in the course of developing your invention.

The non-disclosure agreement needs to have very clear provisions that subject the party to damages if the person attempts to circumvent the non-disclosure agreement and steal your idea. However, the agreement should not be so stringent that parties are afraid to work with you for fear that you may sue them. To that extent, it would probably be a very good idea to have an attorney draft the agreement on your behalf. If you use a template online, you may not be fully protected or the template may have a loophole that can be exploited.
Also I have been documenting, dating my notes, designs from the very beginning. I also took a picture of the first prototype. All dated. Will that help too?
Yes, that will help as well if an issue ever arises. The true key especially if you have an invention that you believe will do well economically is be very careful about sharing your idea and having a non disclosure agreement that grants you the greatest amount of protection with respect to third parties.
Wilton A. Person
Thank you.
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Lawyer