Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

For Alex Reese. Hi Alex, I submitted a trademark application

For Alex Reese.

Hi Alex,

I submitted a trademark application for the name of my business back in May. I recently received an office action that the identification of services is "indefinite and overbroad and must be clarified. See TMEP §1402.01. Applicant must specify the nature of the services as well as their main purpose and their field of use or channels of trade and limit the application to one class or add classes as necessary. Applicant may adopt the following identification, if accurate" and then the options split my original claim into two classes (41 and 42). What do I need to do to respond to this action? I'm ok with the description that they offered for class 41, can I just accept that description and use Class 41 (which is the class that they have identified for my specimen of record)? Is that all I need to do?

Alex Reese :

hello

Alex Reese :

yes, the examiner is offering that you use one of their suggested classes....so you can pick one of them, like 41

Customer:

and that's all I need to do?

Customer:

lots of legalese for something that simple

Alex Reese :

Yes, as long as you are okay with the options he is giving, it is an easy way to proceed

Alex Reese :

you can call the examiner to confirm, but I think you will need to send in a formal response

Alex Reese :

electronically or by mail (although sometimes the examiner will take care of it after a phone call)

Customer:

ok, that sounds good.

Customer:

I think they gave me an online form to fill out.

Customer:

I'll check that out and give the examiner a call if I run into any questions

Alex Reese :

yes that's good

Customer:

just wanted to check here first to make sure I wasn't missing something

Alex Reese :

sure, best of luck

Customer:

thanks

Alex Reese :

hopefully it goes through smoothly