How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 9339
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have original poster art by a well known artist that is signed.

This answer was rated:

I have original poster art by a well known artist that is signed. It is an unfinished work, the artist is deceased and I have the only version of it.

2 problems -

1) It also contains the name of a high profile association whose name is XXXXX XXXXX /copywritten trade mark.

2) All of the artist's other work IS copy-written and well documented.

This one has never been seen other than by the artist myself and the person who gave it to me.

Would I be able to register the work in my name or would I have to get clearance from
the artists' estate and the organization mentioned?
You would need permission from the estate of the artist. The artist owned the copyright whether or not it was registered with the copyright office.

Whether or not you need permission from the owner of the trademark depends on how it was used in the artwork. A trademark can be parodied without permission, see

You can get a free consultation from some of the copyright lawyers listed by location here.

I urge you to have a local attorney look at the artwork and advise you.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney and 3 other Intellectual Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the Excellent rating, and thank you very much for the bonus!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Likewise - thank you for enlightening me and preventing me

from going down the wrong road.





Thank you for using Just Answer!


You can find me here if you any future questions.

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions