montysimmons
montysimmons, Patent Prosecutor
Experience:  Electrical Engineer, South Carolina Attorney, Member of US Patent Bar
9204196

I just copy/pasted the first three claims from previous example,

I just copy/pasted the first three claims from previous example, and now the question is about claim 4 (ignore 1 to 3), whether the upper case words from claim 4 are acceptable.

1. A method of counting events from two sensors during a floating boat detection process when said sensors generate events simultaneously, the method comprising the steps of:
…. …..

removing said first distinctive sign from said display apparatus upon a preselected event.

2. The method of claim 1, wherein said preselected event is one of (a) incrementing one event counter upon an occurrence of non-simultaneous events, and (b) incrementing one event counter upon detection of simultaneous events by said electric apparatus.

3. The method of claim 1, wherein said preselected event is incrementing one event counter upon detection of simultaneous events by said electric apparatus.

4. A METHOD OF CLAIMS 2 AND 3, WHERE IN THE ASSIGNMENT OF THE PRIORITY FOLLOWS THE STEPS OF:

checking if said sensors are enabled;

using a second electric apparatus OPERATIVE TO detect the speed of the sensors;
checking the speed of each sensor; and

assigning priority to the slowest sensor;

I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This questions was addressed to montysimmons based on some previous questions he answered for me before.

I assume that he will be answering the question when he will check his emails.

I have no problem to wait until then.

Hi George,

That was not clear, so thank you for letting me know. I will contact Montysimmons for you. A good way to get his attention n the future would be to make "For MontySimmons" the first words of your question. That will automatically put his name in the subject heading of the question where he'll be able to spot it.

First:Multiple Dependent Claims Expensive

What you have in claim 4 is referred to as a Multiple dependent claim.

Just note the fees for a multiple depend claim are:

(1) $780 no discount
(2) $390 Small Entity
(3) $195 Micro Entity

whereas a regular extra claim is

(1) $80 no discount
(2) $40 small entity
(3) $20 micro entity

Thus, if you are a micro entity, you can have 10 depend claims for the price of 1 multiple dependent claim.

YOUR CLAIM

["The method" not "A method"]

[THE ASSIGNMENT OF PRIORITY] there is no assignment of priority in any of the claim language provided but I will assume such is in claim 1 and just not presented in this question.]

checking if said sensors are enabled;

[consider: configuring a second electronic apparatus to monitor the speed indicate by each of said sensors;]

checking the speed of each sensor; and [remove step if you use my revised claim]

assigning priority to the slowest sensor; (end with a period if this is the end)

Overall the claim looks good and what you have is OK.

That said Consider The Following

------[
configuring a second electronic apparatus to monitor the speed indicate by each of said sensor;

------ ]

my claims would look like this and would not use multiple dependent claims to keep costs down

3. The method of claim 2, where the step of assigning said priority further comprises:

checking if said sensors are enabled;

configuring a second electronic apparatus to monitor the speed indicate by each of said sensors; and

assigning priority to the sensor indicating the slowest reading.

4. The method of claim 1, wherein said preselected event is incrementing one event counter upon detection of simultaneous events by said electric apparatus.

5. The method of claim 4, where the step of assigning said priority further comprises:

checking if said sensors are enabled;

Accomplishes the same goal as the multiple dependent claim but saves you $155 for micro entity, $300 for small entity, in claim fees.

montysimmons, Patent Prosecutor
Experience: Electrical Engineer, South Carolina Attorney, Member of US Patent Bar