Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I created a unique party game with some friends - what started

I created a unique party game with some friends - what started out as just a fun project could actually be turned into a product like Cards Against Humanity (if you're familiar). In some of the cards of the game, players are asked to complete a lyric from a song - we share a line from a song and they must correctly give the lyric that follows. Is this legal to do?

Alex Reese :

hello

Customer:

Hi thank you this is a really cool service!

Alex Reese :

although song lyrics are protected by copyright, fair use would likely allow a very small portion (small %) of the song to be used, such as a line

Alex Reese :

the less you can use, the better

Customer:

Ok in most of the cards we only use 2 lines. From what I understand referring to movie and TV show titles is ok as well? For example, who played Grace in the show Will and Grace?

Customer:

Thank you again!

Alex Reese :

that example is fine...using titles/names is finem they are not protected by copyright

Alex Reese :

song lyrics are, so it's different

Customer:

Ok I understand. Thank you very much Mr. Reese.

Alex Reese :

so use the song lyrics sparingly

Alex Reese :

you're welcome, good luck with the game

Alex Reese :

and please don't forget to RATE my response....and just respond to the thread if you have a follow-up question