Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

Hi, I was reading over this Contract about Exclusives for

Customer Question
Hi, I was reading over...
Hi, I was reading over this Contract about Exclusive's for a beat. I would like to ask if you could help me understand it a bit better?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
7/12/2013
IP Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 4 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

A "beat" is the creative work of a percussionist/drummer or other rhythm professional. A beat is susceptible to copyright registration, meaning that use by someone who has not licensed the beat from the copyright holder/publisher for synchronization with other audio-visual materials, may be subject to legal action for copyright infringement.

Copyright infringement carries a statutory damage award of from $200-$750 per copy, for infringement. 17 U.S.C. 504(c).

An "exclusive" beat license means that the copyright holder cannot license the same beat to any other person, and you would have a claim against both the copyright holder and any third party who used the same beat without your permission.

That said, if you have questions about the specific beat contract, please provide a url/link to the license and tell me your specific concerns -- or, upload the license to www.mediafire.com and provide a url/link to the file, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thanks in advance.
socrateaser, Lawyer