Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

Anyone know anything about patents?

Anyone know anything about patents...

Anyone know anything about patents?  Trying to determine if small modifications (in this case two cuts from a dremel tool) to allow an item to be used in a completely different purpose would be able to be patented. 

7/12/2013
Fran-mod
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

It doesn't matter, I don't think the thing is worth getting a patent on. Thanks!

And thanks for even trying with this. I know it's not a normal category. One thing I would love to see is bike repair. I work on my cars on a regular basis and I have been surprised at how complicated it is to work on bikes. I get stuck working on my bikes and I wish Justanswer had professionals to ask like you do for cars. I always thought bike repair was kind of a joke until I tried it. There are so many different makers of every component and they are done differently.

You're welcome.

We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
N Cal Attorney
A patent has to be for something non-obvious, but I cannot tell from your question whether your invention would qualify.

You cannot post confidential information here without losing the ability to patent it, so this is not the best forum for your question.

You can get a free consultation from some of the patent lawyers listed by location at
http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/Patents/West-Virginia

Please follow up on this with a local attorney who can review your invention in confidence and advise you as to whether it is sufficiently innovative to be patentable.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney
Thank you for the Excellent rating!
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer