Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

GM produce an engine called a LT5 from 1986 until 1993. I took

GM produce an engine called a LT5 from 1986 until 1993. I took two of the components and shrunk them into the size of a key chain and had key chains made. Am I violating any kind of trademark infringement? GM never made these key chains.
Hello JACUSTOMER,

No you would not be infringing on any trademarks. Trademarks are granted to unique words, or logos which represent the brand of a particular product. Trademarks are not granted to the actual physical products themselves.

Now it is possible that GM would have what is known as a "design patent" on the engine or the engine components. A design patent is a special type of patent granted on the ornamental design of a functional item. It essentially covers what the product looks like. If this is the case you might have a problem duplicating the look of the engine parts.

However, it is unlikely that GM would have such design patent on specific engine parts or components. And in any event, design patents only last for a period of 14 years. So, if these engine components were patented at the latest in 1993, any patent protection would have expired.

So, I think you are safe.

Thomas