How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 31729
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a home-based business cleaning algae and moss from shingles.

This answer was rated:

I have a home-based business cleaning algae and moss from shingles. Photos of my work are displayed on my website. I was thinking about having the Drifters' 1962 song "Up on the Roof" play as the photos scroll. There are dozens of You Tube posts with this audio. Is it legal for me to use it?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm an Intellectual Property litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

LEGALLY speaking, it is illegal to use a copyrighted work for personal gain without getting permission from the owner of the copyright. Thus, this would likely be illegal. Here's a good link you could read:

Obviously, the likelihood of actually getting caught doing this and even being sued is slim because the cost of pursuing a legal claim probably outweighs the money damages that could result, BUT that doesn't mean it's legal and it certainly doesn't mean that you won't get sued; however, the odds are low.

That said, you can likely get a license to use the song for a nominal fee, and then you won't have to worry about getting sued over the issue. You can contact the US Copyright Office or visit the website and look up the song to see who the copyright owner is; then you can contact the owner about getting a license.

Roger and other Intellectual Property Law Specialists are ready to help you