BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters
73280834

How much different must one item be from another to not infringe

How much different must one item be from another to not infringe on the other, is there a given percentage, or does it all fall under the Egyptian goddess?

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will be assisting you

BizIPEsq. :

Are you referring to copyright infringement? And whether two works are substantial similar?

Customer:

they look similar because they are glasses but still are not the same, very much different when looking close

Customer:

is there a given percentage they must be different

Customer:

everyone has said they only need to be a little different

Customer:

not hugely different

Customer:

everyone who looks at my glasses and others say they are very different and they cold not mistake them for others

BizIPEsq. :

there is no set %. The ultimate decision makers are judges/juries and the instructions are always to look at the totality of the work. For example if there is one very unique design feature and even if it's only 1% of the design if you copy that 1% and people now belief that your object was made by the other company then it would be enough to constitute infringment

BizIPEsq. :

of course on the other side you would claim that your glasses are different and therefore should be considered a work in of themselves

Customer:

thank you for your help

BizIPEsq. :

this would be a good faith point of view

BizIPEsq. :

you are welcome

BizIPEsq. :

please rate my answer

BizIPEsq. :

without your rating I do not get compensated for my work

BizIPEsq. :

use the button below

Customer:

OK