BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters
73280834

I want to make hats using a pattern from another designer.

I want to make hats using a pattern from another designer. As I understand it, her design is copyrighted but she can't copyright what I make. Is that correct?

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will be assisting you

BizIPEsq. :

You correct to say that you cannot use the pattern of another without copyright holder's permission.

BizIPEsq. :

You are also correct to note that one cannot copyright the design of another. That would be fraud. Generally speaking, one is only permitted to copyright their own work.

BizIPEsq. :

If you are concerned about someone copying your design or otherwise copyrighting it improperly, then you should do it first. It is fairly easy and inexpensive to register your work with the copyright office and I would highly recommend that you that. See here for more information on how to register a work.

BizIPEsq. :

I can also further explain the process under a new question. If you are interested please start a new question indicate "For BIZIPESQ only" in the title of the question.

BizIPEsq. :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you

BizIPEsq. :

Please rate my service using the button below. Without your rating I do not get compensated for my work

Customer:

to BizIPEsq

Customer:

just a clarification, if I make these hats using her copyrighted pattern, are the hats I make covered by her copyright or are they considered the work of my hands and thus my property and legal to sell?