Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

Are official documents posted online by the company itself

(or related entities) still considered...
Are official documents posted online by the company itself (or related entities) still considered trade secrets? Does it matter if the information was not meant to be disclosed and clearly has warnings not to disseminate? Can this information still be protected even if discovered by third parties who are not current employees, former employees, or anyone else who has not signed a non-discloser agreement or non-compete agreement? Would stumbling upon this information on the internet be considered a legal/honest form of obtaining trade secret information?
6/8/2013
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer

Alex Reese :

hello

Alex Reese :

if the company places it in public view then its no longer a trade secret, but if the material is stolen and placed online, or placed online without autorization then the trade secret nature is not necessarily lost

Alex Reese :

but there is no clear rule on figuring out the status after such disclosure, it depends on the circumstances and the particular state law (which governs state secrets)

Alex Reese :

if you know the materials are confidential/trade secret then you cannot use them

Alex Reese :

it could be considered an illegal use of the information

Alex Reese :

looking at it is one thing, but then trying to use that information is another, that would be illegal regardless of how it wound up online etc

Customer:

Thank you so much. That is very helpful!

Alex Reese :

sure, best of luck

Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Alex Reese
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer