Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

When writing a how-to-book on a subject like how to buy and

sell on Ebay or Amazon...
When writing a how-to-book on a subject like how to buy and sell on Ebay or Amazon, how is it possible to avoid copyright issues? I looked at the Dummies Guides which are like what I would do and wondered how does one avoid copyright when creating this kind of work.
I would not use any website photos or copy text word for word but I would tell people to look at certain areas on the website. Anyway, would appreciate a concise answer how how to avoid copyright infringement like the Dummies Guide appears to have done.
6/3/2013
BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney

BizIPEsq. :

llo, I will be assisting you.

Customer:

Customer:

Apologize,

Customer:

first time on website

BizIPEsq. :

In addition to copyrights trademark is an additional issue

Customer:

what is your answer?

BizIPEsq. :

Do you want the concise botXXXXX XXXXXne or would you like me to log off and compose a fuller answer?

Customer:

could we q & a a bit?

Customer:

If this is not protocol no problem

BizIPEsq. :

Sure

Customer:

The website is one where military surplus is sold called Government Liquidation

BizIPEsq. :

Ok any additional info?

Customer:

I, plan to tell people how to buy military surplus in a generic sense but have not choice but to point to certain areas of this website as it is the only source of buying Department of Defense military surplus. With that said, this is a book about the larger picture and i would not copy anything, only tell where to search

Customer:

in light of the Dummies Guide or Idiots guide doing the same with Ebay and Amazon and more what are the guiding principles to avoid issues/

Customer:

I do plan to copyright it as well

BizIPEsq. :

I assume the sites include government and commercial websites?

Customer:

still there?

BizIPEsq. :

I believe the dummies series licenses since content from the various sites that is how they are able to feature so much of the subject matter sites

BizIPEsq. :

Please bear with me

BizIPEsq. :

you Will not be playing on an even field with them

BizIPEsq. :

Unless you have a license to feature images of the sites you can give instructions and mention the names but you cannot show screen shots for example

Customer:

I would not use their pictures and would only refer them to the website as this is not a "how to use the website" training program.

Customer:

Excellent, this is my approach planned.

BizIPEsq. :

Terrific

BizIPEsq. :

Please rate my answer

Customer:

one small additional question

BizIPEsq. :

Sure

Customer:

can I take a word they use as in "abandonment" meaning they have to pick it up in ten business days and give it my own definition?

Customer:

Also, can I request you in future questions?

Customer:

Other than that I am very appreciative for you answer.

BizIPEsq. :

can request me on the site :)

BizIPEsq. :

You can also provide your own definitions and explanations

BizIPEsq. :

In your manual

Customer:

Thank you sir,

Customer:

Will talk again soon

BizIPEsq. :

You're welcome

Customer:

Sincerely,

BizIPEsq. :

Please rate

Customer:

Best rating is deserved

BizIPEsq. :

Without your rating I don't get compensatdfor my work

Customer:

excellent service

BizIPEsq. :

Press the button below

BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney

Gave you an excellent rating.

Thanks.

My training program is about he whole of military surplus and not focused on the website anyway so after reading your post i understood I will be OK in my approach.

I would simply talk about and point to where they must buy it without using any of their information.

I will be checking in later for a few more questions on the same subject.

have bought the Nolo Press Copyright for writers to make sure I avoid even the slightest possibility of copyright or trademark infringement.

OK, thanks again...

Will talk soon.

Gene

You are welcome.

Feel free to request me for future questions by noting "for BIZIPESQ"

Cheers

I have decided to abandon this effort but again wanted to thank you for the info.

Sincerely,

Gene

I understand. I'm sure you're already brewing the next idea!

Thank you for your patronage

You will be my source of advisement on this issue.

I may approach it another way but for now it is backburner

thanks again sir,

Gene

You are welcome

Hello BizIPEsq,

Still green on this website. Tried to input new info but appears it did not go through. Chalk it up to learning.

Wanted to talk further about the earlier discussion we had on copyright and trademark.

BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney