How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wilton A. Person Your Own Question
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4147
Experience:  MBA, Experienced and Knowledgeable in Intellectual Property Law
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Wilton A. Person is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thinking of selling a "filler" idea to a newspaper - a daily

This answer was rated:

Thinking of selling a "filler" idea to a newspaper - a daily brief joke-type item. Have to yet to come up with a name for the item. If able to sell this, would a copyright be recommended for the name & the jokes material, etc?

Thank you for looking at this
Thank you for your question.

I assume that you mean some type of syndicated column. If so, the name itself may be eligible for trademark protection because the name itself would identify you or your company as the source of the column.

The material for the jokes would be eligible for copyright registration by filing a copyright registration at

In summary, it would be a good idea to file a trademark registration for the name and a copyright registration for the material for the jokes.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just quick question - rough idea of fees for trademark & copyright registrations -- thank you again.

A standard trademark application is $275.00 and can be filed at and copyright registrations are $35.00 which can be filed at
Wilton A. Person and other Intellectual Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions