Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I am interested in starting a subscription website that will…

Customer Question
I am interested in starting...
I am interested in starting a subscription website that will allow music artist to market themselves and sale their music. I have not started marketing my website yet. Is it possible to copyright my idea ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
1/8/2012
IP Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
You cannot copyright an idea, you can only copyright an actual tangible original work. Thus, you would have to actually create your idea an then you could copyright it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

So, once I have the website up and running that is when I can copyright the work? Or can I do it once I have the domain name registered?
It does not have to be up and running, it needs to at least be designed and ready to launch.