Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I had an e-mail correspondence for a year. He was my first…

Customer Question
I had an e-mail correspondence...
I had an e-mail correspondence for a year. He was my first high school boyfriend in 1962-63. We reconnected via e-mail 49 years later in 2010. I have written an epistolary novel using our e-mails, his hand written notes and letters. It is a beautiful love story, which ended when his wife found out. Is it legal for me to publish this novel?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
1/6/2012
IP Lawyer: Alex Reese, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer

Alex Reese :

hello

Alex Reese :

it would not be wise / legal to reproduce his communications directly, but it is ok to write about the circumstances and commununications more generally

JACUSTOMER-kqkqucn2- :

That's what I figured. But his e-mails are so good! To not include them would destroy the integrity of the story.

JACUSTOMER-kqkqucn2- :

No, I do not wish to continue this conversation. My understanding was that the $30 would be paid if I was satisfied. I am not. So I do not wish to pay this amount.

Alex Reese
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer