Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I make serving trays using decorative paper produced by another…

Customer Question
I make serving trays using...
I make serving trays using decorative paper produced by another company. I then sell the trays online, at craft fairs and through retail stores. Should I contact the company who produces the paper for permission? Do they have a legal right to say that I can't use their product as part of my product?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
1/6/2012
IP Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
If you are incorporating any trademarked design from another company into your design, then you would need written consent. What I mean by trademarked design is if they have a particular pattern that has been trademarked (such as a logo or a unique design) then you cannot use that in your product as it infringes on their rights and when you purchased the product from them you received license for personal use.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”