Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Is it legal for me to write and sell a computer bingo game…

Customer Question
Is it legal for me...
Is it legal for me to write and sell a computer bingo game or an othello game?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
1/4/2012
IP Lawyer: Alex Reese, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer

Alex Reese :

hello

Alex Reese :

what about it do you think would be illegal? can you be more specific?

Alex Reese :

copyright law protects original & creative works....if you are not "copying" another work then you don't have much to worry about when it comes to copyright

Alex Reese :

so if you come up with your game yourself then there would be no copyright violation

Customer:

What about the rules?

Alex Reese :

well just dont copy another games rules either exactly or with "substantial similarity"

Alex Reese :

make it in your own words

Alex Reese :

i.e. dont "copy"

Alex Reese :

sorry i have to step away but i will respond to any follow up you have later tonite

Customer:

Just to repeat your answer, I can write a computer game based on the game Bingo and if I don't copy the rules I can legally sell the game

Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer