Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I have a youtube channel. bluring there faces out?

Customer Question
I have a youtube channel...
I have a youtube channel. Do I need to be bluring there faces out? If I make it into a documentary youtube channel will that make it so I don't have to. Can I be sued for the video's I posted already?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
1/4/2012
IP Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
You would still have to blur the faces of those who do not want their images used for commercial use under their right to privacy. This is why documentary makers get releases signed or blur faces.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

so even if I film someone just walking down the street. I still need to blur out there faces. Am I breaking any laws by posting there image on youtube or am I just opening myself up to law sues?. is a youtube channel considered commercial use?
You are simply risking a suit from someone who does not want their image displayed for commercial reason under their right to privacy.
Thanks
Thank you.
just wondering..how much coudl they sue me for? the amount I make on the film or more?
They could sue you for a share of any profits you made plus damages and get an injection to make you remove it and the litigation costs really are not worth it to you.
how would I get a "releases signed" you know where I can get one I can have people sign?
Here is a sample form and you only need them from people whom you are focusing in on, if it is merely someone walking down the street in a background in a public place you do not need a release from them and you do not need to worry about a release from them. See: http://www.newpaltz.edu/sponsored_programs/videorelease.pdf
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer