Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Is naming my company Putting Everything in Place to similar…

Is naming my company Putting...
Is naming my company Putting Everything in Place to similar to the trademark name "Everything in its Place"
Both Companies are in the exact same business
1/3/2012
The first thing one must understand about trademark law is that there are no bright line black and white answers. The trademark law (Landham Act) uses the subjective examination of "likelihood of confusion" with the other mark. The fact is that you also may argue that the use of Putting Everything in Place is actually merely descriptive of the service you are offering and thus not even capable of being trademarked without developing some secondary meaning directly related to your company. It certainly is not overly likely to create confusion and you have the secondary argument that your name is XXXXX XXXXX the service that you provide and thus not a violation of any trademark law.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”