Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

If i take a designer charm bracelet apart and make earrings…

Customer Question
If i take a...
If i take a designer charm bracelet apart and make earrings from the charms and then sell it. Is it illegal/trademark infringement?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
1/2/2012
IP Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
Thank you for your question.

That depends on what exactly what copyrighted by the designer. If the designer essentially copyrighted the whole design, even an appropriation of part of the design for your own benefit would still be considered infringement and would therefore permit the designer holder to pursue you for damages stemming from your product utilizing their design without formal license or permission.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney