Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

Some Science Fiction stories of mine were published by (now…

Customer Question
Some Science Fiction stories of...
Some Science Fiction stories of mine were published by (now defunct) magazines in the early 1960s. Recently, without my knowledge, they have been reissued in both printed and e-book format and are for sale on Amazon.com. Do I have any rights in this matter?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
1/2/2012
IP Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
If they were published by the magazines in the 1960's with your consent and you gave permission to print them in the magazine, then they have a right to reprint the work under that prior agreement and you would not have any rights to stop them.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Thank you for your answer -- it is right to the point. You say that I have no recourse if the original magazines reprint the stories. However, it seems (and I don't have all the details yet) that the reprints are the work of "volunteers" or other people not associated with the original magazines. Does this change anything?
I do not know what "all the details are" as if you do not have them and cannot tell me about them, I have no way of knowing them. If they magazine was reprinted without authority contrary to the copyright rights of the owner of the magazine, then the owner of the magazine copyright has a right against them for reprinting. If you retained a separate copyright over your stories and have not given these people to print them then you would have rights to exercise your copyright rights with a cease and desist letter and suit if they refuse to come to an agreement with you.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer