Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Do you know going rates for e-books when publisher pays author?

Customer Question
I would rather have an...
Do you know going rates for e-books when publisher pays author? I would rather have an intellectual property lawyer.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
1/2/2012
IP Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
The general average rate of royalties on e books because there is so little overhead is 50%.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

I guess the second part of my question didn't come through. It was is there usually something in contract of what publisher may do to promote e-books and do I need
to have something in place for translations/foreign sales like I did the print book.
The contracts are generally similar, except the costs of promotion online are less and you still need to have something in place for translations, but with internet sales of ebooks they can come from anywhere US or foreign so that is not the same.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer