Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

I make an orange paw lollypop. Clemson University now wants

I make an orange paw lollypop. Clemson University now wants to claim I have infringed on their trademark. I have been contacted by CLC and told it looks "CONFUSINGLY SIMULAR" and to stop manufacting it now. (sent certified mail)
NOW, how does one look up a TRADEMARKED item like this to see if they have legal rights to my "confusingly simular" product. It is not a real tiger paw print, like my understading of Clemson's trademarked logo is...
just a tin mold shaped like a paw and when poured in orange candy color they say it's theirs.
and what's up with "in likeness"... if made in the likeness do they have rights?
Can I request a copy of the trademark through the CLC?
You can see a photo at http://www.facebook.com/Thelollipoplady
Looking to stay in business without the CLC!!!
Thank you for your time.
This is going to be something that is debatable as to likelihood of confusion since a paw is a paw and there are very few ways to make a paw print. The problem is that fighting these cases, even though you are likely right here, can be so costly it is not economically feasible. The only thing you can try is sending them a letter telling them that you dispute that your lollipop made from a commercially produced mold is in any way confusing with their mark and that there are only so many paw prints and as such it is not likely that any court will find your making candy from a commercial paw mold to be similar or confusing. You may want to invest the $200-$300 to have a local intellectual property attorney tell them that. Remember, many times the distinction of these marks is a subjective determination based on viewing them side by side. To check trademarks you can use the US Patent and Trademark Office database, http://www.uspto.gov.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your help.
Thank you.