Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Is cloning a website or buying a clone script considered copyright…

Customer Question
Is cloning a website or...
Is cloning a website or buying a clone script considered copyright infringement or in any other way illegal?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
9/11/2010
IP Lawyer: Wilton A. Person, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Wilton A. Person

Yes, cloning a website or buying a clone script would be considered copyright infringement. It may also violate the Lanham Trademark Act if people believe that

the source of the cloned website is the owner of the original website.

In addition, the action may also violate state unfair business practices laws.

Short assessment is that it would probably not be a good idea for a person to clone a website or buy a clone script if he or she wishes to avoid legal issues.

If that's the case, how are there more than one search engines out there? There are thousands of websites that have identical functionalities. Are they all considered illegal?
Thank you for your response. The volume of the people or entities that are participating in an activity does not legalize an activity. It is my view that the activity would be illegal, but as you seem to disagree, I will opt out and open your question to the other intellectual property attorneys who may be in agreement with you.
IP Lawyer: Law Professor, Law Professor replied 7 years ago
Law Professor
Law Professor, Law Professor

There seems to be some confusion here.

You cannot copy a website in the sense of taking the ways it looks, it's pictures, its layout, its name, and so on. That woudl violate copyright law.

You can copy a website in the sense of building your own website that does similar things, but you might ultimately have trouble if the original site has a patent that covers its idea. If not, you can copy; if so, you cannot.

Hope that clarifies.