Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Question regarding registering a trademark. Basically how similar…

Customer Question
Question regarding registering a trademark...
Question regarding registering a trademark. Basically how similar can a phrase be? If I want to register "Your Cruise Guy" or even "Richard, Your Cruise Guy" and someone has trademarked "The Cruise Guy", is that an infringement?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
9/11/2010
IP Lawyer: IP Lawexpert, Attorney replied 7 years ago
IP Lawexpert
IP Lawexpert, Attorney
I will be happy to assist you. I have 20 years experience in trademark law.

In regard to the similarity of use, first, it depends on the likelihood of confusion between the two products or services by an average consumer. So first, you need to determine how similar are the products or services that you are offering. Would you likely be competing for the same customers. Second, are there other marks that use some or all of the terms? If Cruise and Guy are used in other marks, then it is less likely that customers would be confused as they would be accustomed to look more closely. There are other factors that play into the analysis, but the botXXXXX XXXXXne is whether there is a likelihood of whether customers would be confused. We are not allowed to provide you with legal advice on this site, only information. Consultation directly with a trademark attorney can provide you with a clearance opinion.

Did this answer your question?
IP Lawexpert
IP Lawexpert, Attorney