Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I recieved a letter saying I was in violation of Title 15 United States Code Secti…

I recieved a letter saying...
I recieved a letter saying I was in violation of Title 15 United States Code Sections 1114(1) from a lawyer of swimoutlet.com because I own/operate a website discountswimoutlet.com. They are telling me turn over the site to them. Am I in violation and if so should I comply?
9/9/2010
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer

How long have you been using that name in commerce? Longer than this other company?

I have been using the name for about 6 months and they have had the name for some time. I had no prior knowledge to their existance and I tried to use general terms discount+swim+outlet. I have had 1 customer to this site. I don't actively promote it, I do most of my business on auction sites. I don't want to hand it over for free because I have time invested in it, but I don't actully care about the url. What do you suggest?

The name sounds highly generic and descriptive of the goods (assuming its for swim goods) so to me its not a valid mark. Trademarks have to be distinctive at least to some extent, they cannot use common descriptive words and take them out of common usage...unless it has acquired distinctiveness. My impression is that their claim would be weak, but you would have to consult a TM attorney in person to get a more detailed assessment. for more info on TM law check out http://coursecracker.com/4/7487/college/law/intellectual-property-law/forums/index.html

TM infringement is based on the likelihood of consumer confusion...but if the initial mark is not valid to begin with then that does not apply
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer