Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

My question is concerning copyright law. (I think) I am a

My question is concerning copyright...
My question is concerning copyright law. (I think)
I am a graphic artist I draw photorealistic portraits in graphite, charcoals and color pencil. I would like to begin offering fantasy composit portraits of my clients with their favorite celebrities. specifically NASCAR and sports heroes. Notthing vulgar, obscene, or derogatory just offering people the chance to have their picture made with their favorite celebrity. My question is can I sell such a piece without the consent of the celebrity pictured? Also can I use someone elses photos such as pictures from a magazine or news paper or the internet as inspirational material? keeping in mind that I try to render drawings as photorealistic as possible.
8/8/2010
You can make and sell these works as long as they do not depict any trademarks for which you do not have permission to use. As far as making art based off of photos as long as it is your own original interpretation of the photo you can do that as well, but if you are copying the photo exactly, then that would be a copyright infringement.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Ok, so to clarify...if a celebrity say a NASCAR driver is wearing a suit covered in logos from his sponsors I would have to get permission from each sponsor? would this also apply to a drawing of a race car covered with these logos??
or you would have to distort the logos so they do not resemble the actual logos or you would have to omit the logos.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer