Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

My team was runner-up in a recent contest for design ideas,

Customer Question
and our proof-of-concept product was...
My team was runner-up in a recent contest for design ideas, and our proof-of-concept product was published in a national magazine. A rendering and conceptual description of the product was included in the publication. What are the best steps should we take to protect our idea (an electronic product with social enterprise capacity)? We are in NY state.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
6/28/2010
IP Lawyer: Alex Reese, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
You can consult with a patent attorney or agent about whether it may be patent eligible. Other than that you can seek a trademark for distinctive names/logos that you use in commerce to identify your goods/services in the market. Copyright will protect your original & creative artwork, logos, designs, writing, etc. But ideas and business concepts themselves are not protectable. For more info on IP law see http://coursecracker.com/4/7487/college/law/intellectual-property-law/forums/index.html
does that answer your question?...please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for my assistance