Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Im asking questions in the order of... how I see my steps…

Customer Question
I'm asking questions in the...
I'm asking questions in the order of... how I see my steps to submitting a proper copyright form.

1) I want to use an online service (any recommendations)?

2) I am copyrighting 2 things - the "lyrics" and me "sing" the song is the "music" on a CD.

What needs to be on the paper and the "CD"? I am having a printer put the information on the "CD".

3) Review - before I fill out the forms, I now have the proper language on the "lyric sheet" and "CD".

4) Important detail here - collaboration of lyrics and arrangement of the music: I mentioned arrangement of the music just in case there is an ownership issue ( I don't thing so). However - collaboration is an ownership issue. First, I will file for copyright.

What do I do regarding changing the lyrics (add) to include adding another author to the song?

My thought is that I have a better chance of success if I mention that I am open to collaboration: Such as... somebody has to write the notes on paper.

Review 2: First file for copyright and here is the information regarding any changes to content.

Thank You... Martell
Portland, Oregon
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
6/25/2010
IP Lawyer: Alex Reese, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer

Well you have asked many questions and I am not clear on much of what you have written above, but you can register your copyright (online or via mail) at http://www.copyright.gov/

All the information and forms etc you neeed are on that website, check out the FAQs as well. You can register the written lyrics either by sending them in on paper or electronic format, and you can separately register the audio recording by sending in the CD as a "specimen" and they may give you the option of attaching an electronic audio file for online submission.

If there is a joint work then you would include the other persons name in the appropriate part of the copyright registration application. Joint ownership means that you have both contributed to the creative aspects of the work and each will have rights to use & commercialize the work. for more info on copyright and IP law see http://coursecracker.com/4/7487/college/law/intellectual-property-law/forums/index.html

I asked for a recommendation for online copyright service to assist in the overview of filing a proper copyright form. You give me.gov ... passed on this question.

I asked for the proper language such as state "copyright" and "date" on both the lyric sheet and CD - passed on this question. (I ask a question that I know the answer to).

I asked you after I have filed and... months later, I want to add lyrics or another name - how do I make this change, you passed on this question.

Maybe I missed something? I numbered the questions and added the review to be clear as to... how the answer is to be formed and provide strong focus and where the defect is in communication.

I did not pass on any questions, I referred you http://www.copyright.gov/ because that is where you go to file a copyright and get info about copyrights, filing a copyright is very simple and using a service is not necessary and will just add to your costs. However, if you don't want to file directly you can use LegalZoom at http://www.legalzoom.com/legal-copyrights/copyrights-overview.html

It appears they charge about $114 in addition to the $35 filing fee

I have no idea what you mean about "proper language"....I cannot help you if you cannot communicate properly with complete sentences and adequate explanation. You may be referring to marking your works with a copyright notice and date....this is optional but not required.

If you file for copyright and then want to change the lyrics then that depends, if the changes are substantial then you have to file for a new copyright, if they are minimal changes then the overall work should be covered by the original copyright. As for adding a name, you have to amend the registration.