Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

What do you do if you do not have the money to create the invention,

Customer Question
but have a valuable idea?...
What do you do if you do not have the money to create the invention, but have a valuable idea?, How do you earn money from an idea?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
6/16/2010
IP Lawyer: Win, Patent Prosecutor replied 8 years ago
Win
Win, Patent Prosecutor

The first thing you should do is make sure your idea is truly novel. Many inventions have been patented but not marketed. Accordingly, you should do a patentability search at the USPTO. http://www.uspto.gov/patents/process/search/index.jsp If your invention is not patentable (must be new, non-obvious and useful) then there may be no barriers to entry and others can simply copy your idea. Further, you may want to consider if you can sell your patent and are not infringing others' patents.

You can contact an invention promotion agency, which will promote your invention to try to get you a licensing deal. However, they may not be worthwhile (you need to ask them how often they've managed to generate revenue exceeding costs).

Another possibility is to sell your invention to a non-practicing entity (NPEs), which will then enforce or license your invention. You will most likely need to have a patent though before talking to them.

You might also want to get funding from the government (e.g., DARPA or DOE). The government will pay you to research and develop your idea if it is in an area they are interested.