Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I used to be in a band. I, and everyone else in the band, signed…

Customer Question
I used to be in...
I used to be in a band. I, and everyone else in the band, signed a release for a video documentary that was supposedly being filmed on our band. This video documentary contains our bands music, our performances, and us just hanging out. We were told at first that the documentary was for our band, but when we were given releases to sign, the release was titled as a release for a video documentary on one of the people in the band and not the band itself. When I signed this release, I had been drinking, was unrepresented by anyone, and I don't know what I signed. I trusted the person so I signed it. I have been asking for this copy for over 10 months now and they are avoiding directly answering my requests and are giving me the run around. This person who produced the video documentary, has been sued and lost for a copyright infringement for a book she "wrote".
Does video doc copyright law pertain to musical compositions or sound recordings? Did I get screwed?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
6/15/2010
IP Lawyer: Alex Reese, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
videos and musical recording are subject to copyright law, but what is your concern exactly...what is it that you want to do?...do you want a copy of the release or the video? The copyrights would be owned by the people who made the video, the band members would not have such rights unless specifically agreed upon. The release was arguably signed under conditions that could have been reversed due to legal/contract concerns.
Yes, I want a copy of the release for the reason that, the person the video doc ended up being on (not our band which is what we were originally told) is now selling a lot of albums while using our music. I'm afraid that our compositions were stolen through a video release contract.
The copyrights for our compositions have been filed because that guy is refusing to pay me my royalties. I think I got swindled and they are hiding the video release. This lady is married to a very powerful attorney here in town and knows better. She's been sued for ripping off a huge book and movie. She has a history of bad business.
I'll let another expert field this question perhaps someone that is more familiar with music & video rights...best of luck
Cool. Thanks.
Relist: Question was deferred to another. .
Question was deferred to another.