Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I am creating a website similar to Yelp, and a few of our web…

Customer Question
I am creating a website...
I am creating a website similar to Yelp, and a few of our web pages have very similar layout to that of Yelp's. Are we in danger of infringing their copyright?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
6/14/2010
IP Lawyer: Alex Reese, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer

Not unless you are copying the creative/expressive aspects of their web design & layout, because that is what copyright protects. There are many web layouts out there and copyright only protects those that are at least minimally creative & original, so you have to use your judgment and consider to what extent you are copying unique elements of the site. for more info on copyright law see http://coursecracker.com/4/7487/college/law/intellectual-property-law/forums/index.html