Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Re: copyright infringement. The company who created and

Customer Question
Re: copyright infringement. The...
Re: copyright infringement. The company who created and hosts my business website used an image on my site, which was taken from a disk that was public domain. I received notification from a company (Canadian, I believe) demanding $2000 for usage of the image which they claim is their property. Immediately upon receiving the letter, the image was taken off of the site, but I am still receiving threatening letters and phone calls from the collection company representing this organization. An extra dimension to this: the person who actually created the site has since passed away. The company tells me that because I hired the web service, I am responsible for the $2000 because they were working on my behalf. Am I responsible even though the image was supposedly taken off of a public domain disk...since the person who did it is deceased, I have no way of proving it. Thanks.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
6/12/2010
IP Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

You have the right to seek indemnity from the company that hosts and created your site. It is up to the company to use authorized photos on your site.

You should contact the company that created/hosts your site and demand indemnity from it. Also, you should contact the company in Canada and explain that you're not the responsible party.

My suggestion is to get an attorney to write the letters on your behalf.

Roger, Lawyer