Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I am looking for an literary/copyright attorney to represent

Customer Question
me against a very well...
I am looking for an literary/copyright attorney to represent me against a very well known music artist. My complaint is.... I worked on this persons autobiography for 4 years compiling stories and interviews for four years without compensation. Now he is saying that this body of work is his and that he has already paid me. In the four years time he has given me less than six thousand dollars. My travel expense was much more than that.
This was not a work for hire because he never paid me a salary and we never sign a contract stating so. I have been very close to this person for 30 years. He has won a lots of Grammys. My understanding of copyright laws is the person who penned the work is the copyright owner unless a contract says otherwise. I was also given producers credit on his last CD released last year but it is only now since we have had a problem with the book that his record company has finally offered me a contract for producing some music on this record. Should I sign?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
6/5/2010
IP Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
N Cal Attorney
Which county in California is this in?
Alex Reese
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer