Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I just finished my 1st cd that i need to get copyrighted…

I just finished my 1st...
I just finished my 1st cd that i need to get copyrighted asap and trademark my record label's name.how much will the copyright&trademark cost and to start doing shows,selling c.d.s,etc... legally what else do i need to do and how much money do you think it will run for copyright,trademark,etc...
1/9/2010
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Copyrights arise from the moment your original/creative work is fixed in a tangible medium (e.g. computer file or CD), but you can register it on line for some additional benefits (statutory damages) in the event of a lawsuit. It costs about $40 to register. You can do this yourself.

Trademarks are more expensive and complicated, you can register at the state or federal level, federal gives more scope of protection (geographic) but costs more (see www.uspto.gov for more info on the whole process, FAQs etc). A federal TM will run you around $325 assuming you do it yourself, a state level TM will cost around $70 but depends on the state. You can apply yourself but it wil require some research, you can also hire an attorney to do it, but that will probably cost you a few hundred dollars.
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
after doing above steps, I can legally start selling my C.D.'s? Thank you for your time!
Sure, but none of the above is required for selling your CDs, IP rights are a benefit to you, not a legal requirement placed on you before you can sell something
What legal steps do I need to take to sell my c.d.s? I am gonna have to pay taxes on them.
Do I need a license? If i would do a live show what do i need to do?I don't want to get arrested selling (c,d,'s)them out of my trunk.. thank you for your time I didn't quite get it the first time you answered me..Have a good day. Jason
Alex Reese
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer