How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robert McEwen, Esq. Your Own Question
Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 16370
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Robert McEwen, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like my name removed from Rate my Teacher website,

Resolved Question:

I would like my name removed from "Rate my Teacher" website, what do I need to do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

You have a problem in that sites like these often rely upon constitutional protection grounds to publish names and reviews.


Your best course of action would be to contact an attorney to draft a "cease and desist" letter. Your action would be buffetted by the fact that you have attempted to remove your name and have not been successful. If there is false and defamatory language on there, the letter could also threaten a lawsuit for libel. Whether or not you could succeed on such a lawsuit would be questionable, but the letter might scare them enough to take your name off. The attorney could also advise you of what your options could be if they did not take your name off the site. Check through your benefits program. You might have a "prepaid legal" plan which would enable you to get the use of an attorney for a reduced cost or free to be able to do this.


You can also just try calling the company (provided you can find a customer service number) and demand that they take your name off of the website. Again, there is the possibility of a first amendment claim, but don't let that stop you from trying.


Good luck to you!

Robert McEwen, Esq. and other Intellectual Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions