Industrial Equipment

Have industrial equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now

I have an old jlg 60h I have problems starting it. I have to…

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old jlg 60h I have problems starting it. I have to turn it over with short bursts. After it is started it runs great but even if it runs all day and I shut it off I this hard starting

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Model 60h.(###) ###-####for serial

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the industrial mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Industrial Equipment
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
How long does it take to talk to someone?
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/27/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 27 days ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your question!

What engine do you have? Gas, propane or diesel? Boom model does not identify the engine.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Gas
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
4cy Ford

Starting on gas or propane? Is fuel valve opening fully for start? Does choke close in the carburetor? New tune up, spark plugs, wires, dist cap, and rotor?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I replaced all of that.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Rebuilt carburetor also

This is overhead cam engine? Has the timing belt been checked? The engine can be out of time.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I was wondering about that. I don’t have a timing light is there another was I can check that?

You have to physically line up the crankshaft and camshaft timing marks and see if the belt is off. One tooth makes big difference.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I will see what I can do.

OK>

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I still can’t get it started any other thoughts
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 21 days ago

Was timing belt replaced? Will engine fire if you use some starting fluid?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I have not tried that
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I do smell gas
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
No it will not start with fluid

No spark or out of time.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I have spark
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Is there a way I can tell if my points are correct

It has points? If you pull wire coil from the distributor cap and hold it near the metal, it should spark each time you manually open the points using a screwdriver to manipulate them.

No points, that is electronic ignition impulse pickup coil.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I must still have the timing off?

Do you have spark at the plugs? If you do, timing may be off.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I have spark

Do you have compression? With fuel. spark and compression it should have fired. Unless timing is off. Pull # 1 spark plug, and with distributor cap off, and rotor still on the shaft, spin engine and watch rotor position when the # 1cylindere blows compression. Do it two or three times, to get rotor position, then see if the rotor matches the # 1 spark plug wire on the distributor cap.